Temple Baptist Church had its beginnings in 1924 when a small number of Sullivan, MO residents organized a Sunday School at the Rethmeyer home. The Odd Fellows Hall on Hughs Ford Road was rented in 1925 for church services. Two years later, in 1927, Temple Baptist Church was officially established and we called our first pastor, T.W. Parmeley.
We purchased a small lot on April 30, 1935 for $250 which was marked as the future site of our new church home. In November of that same year we finished our 36′ by 60′ basement which officially became our first church building. A frame was added on top of the basement in 1940 and later the building was rebuilt and veneered with brick in 1949.
As God continued to bless our church, more educational space was needed and in 1954 we finished another building project under the leadership of our 10th pastor, Joe Amos. Four years later we called our 11th pastor, Vernon Maxted who led the church in its addition of a new auditorium which was completed in 1960 and dedicated on January 22, 1961. This new auditorium has served us well for over 50 years.
In 1986 we called our 14th pastor, Scott Perry, who has served as Pastor of TBC for 26 years. In 1991 he led our church in removing the original basement and frame building and replacing it with office and educational space. In addition, the auditorium was renovated and rededicated in June of 1993.
In 2011 we broke ground on our new education building for our children’s and youth departments. This new building project was complete in 2012 and in May of that same year we adopted a completely rewritten Constitution and Bylaws, which implemented a new manner of church governance and operations for TBC.
We may mark time by the mention of our building projects, but over the years we’ve learned that the heritage of the church isn’t her buildings or her assets. It’s her people. We can look back in thankfulness and appreciation to God for how he has faithfully led his people for 85 years.
May our prayer be that God continues to lead us in bringing glory to his name through the transforming work of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.